www.knox.army.mil, The Official Homepage of Fort Knox

In/Out Processing


Services Provided

  • Forward pertinent documents for inclusion in Soldier's OMPF.
  • DD Form 93: Record of Emergency Data and SGLV 8286: Service members' Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate.
  • Name changes.
  • Enlisted and Officer Records Briefs (ERBs and ORBs) updates.
    • Note: It is the Soldier's responsibility to ensure that his or her ERB / ORB is accurate. Soldiers must provide the appropriate supporting documents to the records clerk when requesting changes.
  • DA Form 1506: Statement of Service-For Computation of Length of Services for Pay Purposes.
  • Reviews and submits Naturalization Packets for Soldiers.
  • Support Soldier Readiness Processing, mobilizations and demobilizations.

Casualty Documents

  • Service members attempting to enroll their family members in DEERS are required to update their DD Form 93: Emergency Data, Record of in the Records Office, and take a copy of the form with them to the ID Card Section.
  • Changes to the SGLV 8286: Service-members Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate may be made at any time. The Soldier will need the full names and addresses of each person he/she elects as a beneficiary. (See SGLV website.)
  • If a Soldier wishes to change the amount of coverage, he/she must inform the clerk who is preparing his SGLV 8286: Service-members Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate so that the clerk can forward the document to Finance to change the premium.
  • When a Soldier enrolls a spouse in DEERS, Family SGLI is established automatically. The spouse will be covered for $100,000 as long as the Soldier is covered for at least that amount. The Soldier does not have to request this insurance, and the beneficiary must be the Soldier. (See FGLI website.)
  • If a Soldier wishes to change the amount of coverage his/her spouse has under FSGLI, an SGLV 8286a: Family Coverage Election must be completed by the servicing records clerk.


All Soldiers assigned to Fort Knox as permanent party report to Building 2020 prior to reporting to their unit. If the Soldier is on PTDY, they should report to family Housing located in building 1383 prior to reporting to IOPC.

  • During Duty Hours
    • Soldiers will report to IOPC for processing from 0730 to 1600 Monday - Thursday and 0830 to 1600 on Friday. Soldiers signing in from leave during duty hours should have their DA FM 31 (Request and Authority for Leave), and reassignment orders to include all amendments. Processing includes confirmation of assignment, publication of amendments (if applicable), updating personnel files and scheduling in-processing appointments.
  • After Normal Duty Hours
    • All Soldiers arriving after duty hours are required to sign in at the DES building 298 on Gold Vault Road. Contact number is (502) 624-6847.
  • Incoming Soldiers Requiring Billeting
    • The DES will coordinate billeting with Garrison for Single Soldiers Private thru Staff Sergeant. All officers, Senior NCOs and all married Soldiers, upon signing in with the DES, will report to New Garden Inn, 406 North Knox Street, Bldg 1327. New Garden Inn can be reached at (502) 943-1000.


All Soldiers within 30 days of PCSing, ETSing, retiring, or transitioning from the Army are required to attend an out processing briefing IAW AR 600-8-101. The Installation Military Personnel Division conducts out-processing briefings on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month from 1430-1600 in building 2020. Soldiers attending this briefing must have in their possession the following:

1. Copies of reassignment/separation/retirement orders with amendments (if applicable)

2. An approved DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave

3. Total Army Sponsorship Survey (Soldiers PCSing)

4. Electronic Sponsorship Training (eSAT) (Soldiers PCSing)

5. Army Transition Program Exit Survey (ETsing/Retiring/Transitioning Soldiers ONLY) http://www.myarmyonesource.com/ArmyTransitionProgramExitSurvey

6. Passport application/verification form (Soldiers PCSing Overseas ONLY) Note: Tours to Hawaii and Alaska are exempt HOWEVER Personnel driving to Alaska will require a passport.

7. Copy of most recent LES (ETSing/Retiring/Transitioning Soldiers ONLY)

8. For information pertaining to this briefing call (502)626-0183/2694

  • Clearance Papers
  • Out-Processing Appointment
    • When Soldiers receive their clearance papers, they are given an appointment date to return for final out-processing. This date is two duty days prior to departing the installation. After clearing is completed, (to include signature of unit commander or the BN S1) the Soldier returns to the PROCESS CONTROL STATION on the appointed date for final out-processing. Upon verifying that all stations were properly cleared, the Soldier will be given a copy of their stamped/signed clearance record and directed to return to their unit to complete out-processing.
  • Permissive TDY
    • Soldiers may receive up to 10 days permissive TDY for house hunting at their new duty station. DA Form 31: Request Authority for Leave, should be processed through the Soldier’s current chain of command. Soldier must report to the gaining on-post housing office prior to the start of house hunting. Failure to do so will result in Soldier being charged leave for the entire period.

Required Documents for Permanent Party Out-Processing

  • Dental Records - Jordan Dental Clinic 626-8301
  • Medical Records - IACH Outpatient Records 624-9291
  • Immunization Records - IACH Immunization Clinic 624-9920
  • CIF records (DA Form 3645: Organizational Clothing and Individual Equipment Record)
  • CAC card - MILPO 626-0183 - If you have not been issued a CAC card, you should go to the ID Card Section prior to your out-processing date to have a CAC card issued.
  • Identification tags (2 sets) MILPO 626-0183
  • Medical Warning Tags (If applicable) - Clinic 2 at IACH 624-0498
  • PCS Orders with all amendments (3 Copies)
  • DA Form 4036 Medical/Dental Preparation for Overseas Movement (if applicable) 624-7476
  • DA Form 5305-R: Family Care Plan (If applicable)
  • DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave - Leave Form - Losing Unit
  • SGT and above - NCOER/OER as applicable or a Memorandum from the BN S1

TDY for 90 Days or More

IAW AR 600-8-101: Personnel Processing and DA PAM 600-8-101: Personnel Processing, all personnel that will be in a Temporary Duty status for 90 days or more are required to out-process through IOPC. DA Form 137-2: Installation Clearance Record will be issued by IOPC. As a minimum, the following activities will be cleared: Medical and Dental facilities, MPD, DEERS/ID Card section, and Central Clearance. It will be determined on the day DA FM 137-2: Installation Clearance Record is issued, whether or not a Soldier is required to process through any other agency(s).

Helpful Documents

TSGLI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Record Of Emergency Data Instruction Brief

Contact Information

Military Personnel Division
70 Pershing Drive
Building 1378
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121

Chief MPD
Building 1378
Telephone: (502) 624-1131
DSN: 464-1131

CAC Chief
Building 1378
Telephone: (502) 624-5417
DSN: 464-5417

Building 1378
Telephone: (502) 624-4849
DSN: 464-4849
Military Personnel Services Branch
Building 1384
Telephone: (502) 624-1834
DSN: 464-1834

Plans & Operations
Building 2020
Telephone: (502) 626-2675
DSN: 536-2675

SFL for Life Transition Assistance Program (TAP)
Building 1109
Telephone: 502-624-2627
DSN: 464-2627

Installation Voting Assistance
Building 1384
Telephone: (502) 624-7235
DSN: 464-7325