Hunt Control Office
Fort Knox comprises approximately 109,000 acres, or 170 square miles, in Bullitt, Hardin, and Meade counties of Kentucky. There are approximately 65,000 acres that are potentially available for recreational use when training mission permits. Access to the Installation for fishing and hunting is coordinated through the Directorate of Public Works (DPW), Hunt Control Office and is strictly controlled and rigidly enforced. This is required to ensure the safety of outdoor recreation participants and the military units that train on the Installation.
The Hunt Control Office is the source for information regarding fishing and hunting on the Installation, and is located in Building 9297 on Wilson Road. Fort Knox hunting/fishing permits, Kentucky hunting and fishing permits/licenses, and maps may be purchased there.
There is a variety of quality fishing resources available on the Installation. This includes trout fishing in Otter Creek; largemouth bass, channel catfish, and bluegill fishing in the eight managed and numerous unmanaged lakes; and smallmouth bass, spotted bass, and longear sunfish fishing in Mill Creek, Cedar Creek, and Otter Creek.
Although primarily forested, Fort Knox has a variety of habitats that support hunting for small game species such as squirrels, doves, rabbits, quail, raccoon, and migratory birds as well as quality deer and wild turkey hunting.
Hunting and fishing on Fort Knox is available to the general public, within the constraints of the resources and safety.
Please visit the Entering Fort Knox page to review Fort Knox Installation access procedures.
Driving Directions and Map to the Hunt Control Office
New for 2017! Fort Knox is in the process of implementing the iSportsman system. The iSportsman system will enable customers to purchase hunting and fishing permits online and to check into and out of hunting areas online or by telephone when fully implemented.
Before purchasing a Fort Knox hunting or fishing permit you must create an account in iSportsman. To create your account:
- Click in the red iSportsman box on the right side of this page.
- If you do not already have an iSportsman account from another agency or installation, click "My Account" then "Register" and then complete the form (including Driver’s License number and license plate number), and then submit.
* If you have an existing iSportsman account from another agency or installation, you can login and add Fort Knox to that account.
- After you create your account, click in the blue box on the Fort Knox Hunt Control webpage if you would like to purchase Fort Knox permits online with a Credit or Debit card. Permits are still available at the Hunt Control office with cash or check during normal business hours.
- NOTICE VERY IMPORTANT: Currently, only fishing, small game, small game hunting/fishing combination, and spring turkey permits are available to be issued through iSportsman.
- DO NOT select any other permits from the Pay.Gov form even though it will allow you to do so.
- After purchasing your Fort Knox permit(s), print the receipt(s) and bring to the Hunt Control Office to pick up your permit(s). Tiers 1-3 will need to show proof of Tier status before picking up permits.
All firearms (including muzzleloaders) brought onto Fort Knox must be registered with the Directorate of Emergency Services (DES) prior to the hunt. For more information and the registration form go to the Fort Knox Firearms Registration page or call 502-624-7011 or 7019. You may also call the Visitor’s Center at 502-624-1524.
To avoid potential delays accessing the Installation, hunters are strongly encouraged to comply with this requirement prior to their assigned hunting dates.