Station One History

 

 

Fire Station One, located on Old Ironsides Avenue, is a piece of history. It was constructed circa 1935, around the same time the U.S. Bullion Depository was constructed.

The Fort Knox Fire Department dates back to the early 1900's, when the post was known as Camp Knox. The station was built to serve as a guardhouse and a fire station. It was traditional construction with arched doorways, oak doors, inlayed Maltese Cross, and brass pole. Because the station also served as a guardhouse, German prisoners of war served as firefighters during World War II, and also maintained the station.

The first apparatus assigned to this station were 1928 model, gasoline powered pumpers. Firefighters used to sleep upstairs, and when a call would come in the bell, known as the joker, would be rung five times. Firefighters would then slide down the pole, jump on the apparatus, and roll out accompanied by their mascot, a Dalmatian. The Dalmation would ride out on the rigs on most all fire runs.

It is an honor to be able to work at a traditional fire house, which is slowly being replaced.

 

 

CONTACT INFORMATION

Fort Knox
Fire Station One

Old Ironsides Avenue, Bldg 469
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121



Telephone: 502-624-6016
Telephone: 502-624-1876
Telephone: 502-624-6032
DSN: 464-6016/1876/6032

Fax: 502-624-1391

 

 


Visit Fort Knox Fire Department on Facebook!