Preparation for Separation


Soldier For Life-Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP)

The Soldier For Life-Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP) is located in building 1109B. Please call the Soldier For Life-Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP) to make arrangements to receive the mandatory pre-separation briefing. This briefing is required by law in order to receive your DD Form 2648: Pre-separation Counseling Checklist / DD Form 2648-1: TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (TAP) CHECKLIST FOR DEACTIVATING/ DEMOBILIZING NATIONAL GUARD AND RESERVE SERVICE MEMBERS. Other programs available to all separating Soldiers are the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) workshop, transition counseling and federal / civilian resume training.

Separation Briefing

A pre-separation Briefing is given on the third Monday of every month at 1500 in building 1384 (White Hall), Room B2. If that Monday is a holiday, the briefing will be given the following business day. This briefing is mandatory for all Regular Army enlisted Soldiers reaching their Expiration of Term in Service (ETS). If you have an approved DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave , please bring a copy to the briefing. Permissive TDY is not authorized for Soldiers voluntarily separating.

Online Separation Briefing for Remote Soldiers

This online briefing is intended to provide all needed information to make your transition as smooth as possible as you separate from the Army. It is our goal is to provide you, the Soldier, all of the information you need to separate without having to sit through long briefings that may or may not apply to you and your individual situation.

Online Separation Briefing for Remote Separating Soldiers (Please select ‘Save’) MS Word Document

Records Review

To ensure accurate preparation of separation documents Soldiers should review their Enlisted Record Brief/Officer Record Brief (ERB/ORB) at least 120 days prior to their projected transitional leave or separation date whichever is earlier. Soldiers may go to their AKO to review their ERB/ORB. Upon review documentation should be provided to the Transition Center. Soldiers that are Warrior in Transition or going through the demobilization process receive a weekly briefing. During this briefing they are given a draft copy of their DD Form 214: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.

Community Based Soldiers, ETS, and Soldiers who are transitioning out of Fort Knox from another Post will receive a draft copy of their DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) though AKO. Documentation to make corrections should be provided to the Transition Center as soon as possible so not to prevent a delay during the separation process.


The Transition Center will publish ETS orders upon Soldiers attending the separation briefing. The orders will be sent to the Soldiers AKO/S1.

All other orders will be published once all necessary documentation (approved separation documents and DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave ) is received by the Transition Center.


The finance transition briefing is on Tuesday and Thursday at 0930 in building 1384 (White Hall), Room B1. Bring a copy of your orders, DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave , and your central clearance papers. All Regular Army and Reserve Component Soldiers should attend.

You must have clearance papers or a memorandum from your unit signed by your Commander stating that you have cleared your unit and that you have no debts to the government. If you do not report with this information, finance may hold 45% of your final pay until this is accomplished.

If you have questions, you may call the Fort Knox Finance Travel Section at (502) 624-8546 or DSN 464-8546.

Out-Processing Briefing

All Soldiers within 30-60 days of PCSing, ETSing, retiring, or transitioning from the Army are required to attend an out processing briefing IAW AR 600-8-101. Installation out-processing briefings are conducted every Wednesday and Thursday in Rockenbach Hall, Building 2020, 159 Black Horse Regiment Road, Room 130. Two briefings are offered each of these days: 1330 and 1500. Soldiers attending this briefing must have the following documents:

  • Orders, including amendments.
  • An approved DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave
  • DA Form 5434, Sponsorship Program Counseling and Information Sheet with a confirmed sponsor.
  • Total Army Sponsorship Training or Electronic Sponsorship Application and Training (eSAT) certificate. Register for the Total Army Sponsorship training in ATRRS and complete in ALMS or register for eSAT training at:
  • ACT out-processing survey.
  • Passport verification form (if applicable). Note: Personnel driving to Alaska will require a passport.

Final Out-Processing

You will be out-processed on one of the following days:

  • The last work day prior to the start of your transitional leave.
  • The last work day prior to your separation/discharge date.

The following documentation will required when you out-process the Transition Center:

DD Form 214

  • The DD FM 214 is the most vital document you will receive from the Army. The benefits a Soldier may be eligible to receive as a result of military service will be based primarily on the DD Form 214.
  • An overview of the DD Form 214 will be given at the pre-separation briefing.
  • Prior to your final out-processing you will be asked to review your DD Form 214. It is the Soldiers responsibility to provide the necessary paperwork to the Transition Center in order to make these changes.
  • You will be given copy 1 and 4 of your DD Form 214 on your final day of out-processing. It will not become an official document until the day following your separation date.

If you reenlist or extend, provide the Transition Center a copy so your separation orders can be revoked.

Health Insurance

The Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) provides comprehensive care coverage for you and your family after separation. For additional information call 1-800-444-5445 or visit the website at

ID Cards

Your ID card and Family member ID cards must be turned in on your separation date. If your separation date is your final out date, your ID cards will be turned into the TC. If you are taking Transitional Leave in conjunction with your separation, it is your responsibility to ensure that on the date of your separation that all ID cards are turned in to the nearest military installation or mailed to:

  • Department of the Army
    Military PER DIV (IMKN-HRM-ID-219)
    Bldg 1384, Room 103
    25 W Chaffee Ave
    Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121-4215

Frequently Asked Questions

Can the Soldier obtain another copy of the DD Form 214 if his or her copy is lost?

The Soldier can obtain another copy by contacting 1-800-318-5298 or by logging on to the following

Can a Soldier obtain extra copies of his or her Health and Dental Records?

The hospital can give the Soldier certified copies of his or her Health and Dental Records upon separation at the Soldiers request. Prior notification to the Hospital is required if the Soldier needs to obtain extra copies of his or her Health and Dental Records after separation.

How does the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) or Army National Guard (ARNG) Soldier obtain copies of their records?

The ARNG Soldier can contact the Adjutant General of the State to get copies of their records. The USAR Soldier can contact their Unit to obtain a copy of their records.

I am on excess leave; when do I get my DD Form 214?

Your DD Form 214 will be issued upon completion of your Chapter Packet or completion of you Court-Martial appeal. The DD Form 214 and copies of discharge orders will be mailed via US Postal Service to the Address given on your leave form, or nearest relative. The Transition Center is not responsible for lost or damaged documents that are in the postal system.

How do I get my DD Form 214 if I moved or the address is no longer valid?

You need to report the Change of Address to the Fort Knox Transition Center by calling (502) 624-7017. The Post Office will not forward the documents.

How do I get a duplicate copy of my DD Form 214 if it is lost or damaged?

After initial issuance of DD Form 214, the Human Resources Command is the only authority that can reissue a DD Form 214. The Transition Center cannot reissue the DD Form 214, nor will information be given out over the telephone to third party inquiries.

What if I need assistance or information regarding any benefit entitlements after separation?

You access Veterans Affairs on line at or look in your telephone book under Federal Government.

If I filed for an appeal on a court-martial, how do I know when it is complete?

You need to contact your attorney to inquire about the status of your appeal. The average time is 1-2 years for completion.

Helpful Numbers

  • In/Out Processing: (502) 626-0183/7228/7229
  • Reserve Component Career Counselor: (502) 624-3347
  • Education Center: (502) 624-4114
  • Soldier For Life-Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP): (502) 624-2227
  • Post Transportation: (502) 624-3943/3927
  • Veterans Affairs: (502) 942-3970
  • Finance: (502) 624-8010
  • Physical Exam: (502) 624-9729
  • Lodging Reservations: (502) 943-1000

Contact Information

Transition Services Section (TSS)
Bldg 1384
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121

Section Chief
Telephone: 502-624-1765
DSN: 464-1765

Monday - Thursday
7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
8:30 AM - 4:00 PM

Retirement Services Office
Telephone: 502-624-7236
Telephone: 502-624-4641
Telephone: 502-624-6419
Telephone: 502-624-4315
Telephone: 502-624-3114
Fax: 502-624-4186


Transition Center
Telephone: 502-624-6456
Telephone: 502-624-4267
Telephone: 502-624-6283
Telephone: 502-624-1404
Telephone: 502-624-1280
Fax: 502-624-4186



ID Card Hours
Monday - Thursday
7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
8:30 AM - 4:00 PM

Need help? Try A-Z

Updated 12 Oct 2018