Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is RCI?
    • RCI is the Army program that will improve the quality of life for Soldiers and their families. A private company will be responsible for family housing management, new construction, renovation.

  • Who is the Fort Knox partner?
    • The partnership between Fort Knox and Actus Lend Lease will be called Knox Hills LLC.

  • Who will manage housing on Fort Knox?
    • Knox Hill will have the overall management responsibilities. Nevertheless, the Army/Fort Knox will be involved in the ongoing operations.

  • How many homes will be on base due to this privatization?
    • Our partner will construct at least 755 new homes and renovate over 1450 homes.

  • Why make the change to privatization?
    • The Army wants to provide the best quality housing for Soldiers and their families by partnering with, and taking advantage of, the efficiencies and economics of scale of a commercial developer. We will be able to deliver better, newer, housing to our military members and dependent than the Army could alone.

  • How will the change to privatized housing affect current residents?
    • Residents will get personalized property management, maintenance and family service at each Community Center office. A resident Resident Occupancy Agreement (ROA) will be required to live at Fort Knox family housing. Starting 1 Dec 2006, the Basic Allowance for housing will be shown on the service members' LES as an entitlement and an allotment will shown as a payable to Knox Hills for rent. Your net pay will remain the same.

  • Can you explain more about the ROA?
    • The ROA is the equivalent to a rental agreement for a home off-post. The only difference is that this is geared for military families. The agreement is for 12-months, unless PCS or ETS orders require a shorter term. All resident in the dwelling must be listed on the agreement.

  • What do I need to know about security deposits before signing a lease?
    • Make sure you and landlord agree on the pre-occupancy condition of the rental unit. Get a complete list of any existing damages to the unit signed by you and landlord for your record. Check the unit to make sure the list is correct. Add any damages you may find regardless of how small. When you move out this list will determine what damages you may have to pay from your deposit.

  • Must the landlord refund my security deposit I gave to hold unit if I decide I do not want the unit?
    • No, the landlord does not have to refund this deposit unless otherwise agreed upon by you and landlord. The purpose of this deposit was to have landlord take the property off the market. For this reason, it is usually not refundable.

  • Our family finally got on-post housing but I just renewed my lease. Can I break the lease and move?
    • No, obtaining on-post housing is not a valid reason for breaking a lease. Check your lease to see what the termination provisions are. If you fail to properly terminate the lease, you may have to continue paying rent until your lease expire or unit is re-rented (even if you are not living there).

  • I just received Deployment Orders. Can I terminate my lease before I depart?
    • Yes, under Georgia law, you can terminate your lease if the TDY orders are in excess of 3 months. You will be responsible for only 30 days rent after the date you provide landlord with written notice and proof of assignment. Remember, you are liable for any damages you caused to unit above normal wear and tear.

  • My roommate and I both signed a lease but she has moved out. Can I get out of the lease?
    • Generally, if you signed a lease with your roommate, the landlord can hold each of you liable for the rent, depending on how the lease is set up. You may want to contact the landlord and agree to pay a portion of the charges to be released from liability for the entire amount.

Contact Information

Housing Division Office
Balcombe Barracks Complex
Building 2817
669 Hell On Wheels Avenue
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121

Telephone: (502) 624-8093
Telephone: (502) 624-8084
DSN: 464-8093/8084

RCI Office
Bldg 1110B, RM 330A
Telephone: (502) 624-8350
DSN: 464-8350

Furnishings Management Office (FMO)
Telephone: (502) 624-4898
DSN: 464-4898

Housing Services
Office (HSO)

Telephone: (502) 624-8084
Telephone: (502) 624-8093
DSN: 464-8084/8093

HSO Supervisor
Telephone: (502) 624-3669
DSN: 464-3669

On-Post Housing
Telephone: (502) 378-3034

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Need help? Try A-Z

Updated 19 Oct 2017